Is your site running slow? Are you unsure which devices to support (or how to support them)? Or are you struggling to get started on a new project?
Let’s work together to figure it out.
I can save you time and money by ensuring that you focus on the right things from the beginning and avoid common but costly mistakes along the way.
Things I can help you with
- Strategy and Planning
- How do you build websites that work on today’s hottest devices, last year’s outdated ones, and devices that don’t even exist yet? I provide strategic and tactical guidance on the approaches, techniques, and challenges of building websites that work on any device, and how those fit into your goals and constraints.
- Tools, Processes, and Workflows
- Making the transition to device-agnostic web development can be challenging. I can help your team establish new processes, tools, and workflows to ensure a faster, smoother transition.
- Documentation and Design Systems
- You spend a lot of time building a beautiful website. Ensure that it stays that with great documentation and a cohesive design system that any developer can pick up and start using.
- Web Performance and Design Audit
- Is your site slow? Is your web project moving in the right direction? I can provide feedback on web performance and usability issues, with detailed recommendations on how to make improvements.
How does consulting work?
We start with a 2-hour workshop to identify your business goals and challenges, and create a plan to help you achieve your goals.
Throughout the duration of your project, I’ll be available to provide you with the strategic and tactical guidance you need, when you need it. I can:
- Provide feedback on strategic direction.
- Review designs, code, and works-in-progress.
- Recommend tools, approaches, processes, and workflows.
- Share emerging technologies, techniques, and best practices.
- Provide situational responsiveness to related needs that require my assistance.
We’ll have regular meetings by phone or video conference. In between meetings, you have unlimited, 24/7 access to me by email or IM.
Consulting retainers include:
- A one-time, 2-hour workshop.
- Weekly phone calls or video chats.
- Unlimited, 24/7 access to me by email or IM.
- $9,500 a month
Note: This is not a “developer-for-hire” arrangement. I provide code samples and design sketches as needed, but authoring shipping code, designs, and documentation is beyond the scope of the retainer.
- Everything from the consulting retainer.
- Authoring shipping code, designs, and documentation.
- Price varies by project
Ready to work together?
Consulting availability is extremely limited, and you can be added to the wait list if no spots are available.
What people have said about working with me
Chris is the kind of partner that, once you wrap up work with him, you’ll start trying to think of reasons you’ll need to hire him back. Adrienne Debigare
Harvard Business School
View the case study for Harvard Business School →
What you’ve done for PAWS... the word "life changing" comes to mind. Kelly Parker
PAWS New England Cofounder
View the case study for PAWS New England →
Not ready yet?
That's ok! Here are a few articles I've written on how to build wicked fast websites that work for anyone on any device. If you decide you'd like to work with me, it's a nice introduction to how I do things. When you're ready to work together, let me know.
- My three principles for building for the web
- Why using current user data to justify not optimizing for mobile is b*llshit
- Fixing fonts
- Inlining Critical CSS for better performance
- Building websites that work on an e-ink kindle
- Ditching jQuery
PS: If a consulting retainer isn’t a good fit for you right now, but you have questions you could use some help with, I offer a limited number of 1×1 consulting calls. Email me if you’re interested.